Tuesday, July 3, 2007

July 3: In the Classroom


When teaching primary schoolers in Tanzania, there are a few things one should know:
1) There is a script that you must follow upon entry to and exit from a classroom. If you are unaware of the script, you have the potential to feel pretty silly. Example: As soon as we entered the classroom, the students all stood and said, "Thank you foh coming to beneefeet us. Good mahning, suh," to which I replied, "Good morning to you." I was so impressed that the 4th Graders knew English, I hadn't noticed that they continued to stand with a look of anticipation in their eyes. I got a little nervous, so I looked to Shujaa and then said to the class, "We're happy to see you again." United, they all chimed back, "We ah fine, suh," then sat down.
-Apparently I was given the wrong script.

2) Tanzanians love to sing. I learned this lesson soon after I learned lesson number one, and as a music major, it was an exciting challenge to try to incorporate HIV facts and info into a memorable song. Here's the catch; the song had to be in Swahili. So with the help of my teaching partner, we managed to write 3 HIV related songs in Swahili (and then we threw in one English song, "Lean on Me," for good measure). The first song we wrote is called, "Weka Safi" ("Keep it Clean") and it has a "We Will Rock You" rhythm and a message about the importance keeping your environment clean when caring for an AIDS patient. Next is a song called, "Cama Vipi, Uka Pime" ("If So, Get Tested"), which is a rap that stresses the importance for everyone to know their HIV status.
But by far, the most popular song we taught the kids was a showtune-ish song I wrote called "Acha Kabisa" ("Abstinence"), which talks about the most effective ways to prevent HIV transmission. Its been so well-received that the kids request to sing it at the end of every class. Whenever I'm walking down the main road of the village, I usually am greeted once or twice by students screaming that song from their front yard. On one occasion, I had gotten lost walking home and ended up in this deserted strip of land. There was no one in sight to ask directions and I had started to panic. That is, until I heard the faint chorus of "Acha Kabisa" from atop this hill in the distance. I finished singing the song with them and then asked where the heck I was. The kids were able to point me in the right direction, and then I too walked home with that song stuck in my head.

No comments: