Arusha, Tanzania: After two consecutive 10 hour plane rides, and one monstrous 10 hour bus ride, I made it to my preliminary destination here in Africa. I've been staying at a Catholic Convent/Hostel with my group from the states called Students for International Change. We have 8 full weeks ahead of us, as we begin two rigorous weeks of in-country HIV/AIDS Orientation and then six weeks of teaching some of the poorest and most rural villages in Tanzania this important information. In effect, we are bringing an HIV/AIDS Awareness campaign to five small and often neglected Tanzanian villages.
But for now, we're here in the convent, attempting to acclimate ourselves to our new environment. In addition to the radical time difference, (+10 hours from PHX time), Tanzania is much different than I expected:
Preconceived Notion #1: Tanzania will look a lot like the Africa I've seen in movies and on television...lots of sand, dust, and some crazy animals.
Reality: Tanzania is probably one of the greenest places I've ever seen. And as I stepped off the plane, I could tell why... Tanzania is also very humid and muggy this time of year. More so in Dar Es Salaam (the location of the Intl Airport), than in Arusha. Here in Arusha, the days range from 70-85 degrees Fahrenheit, and the nights bring cooling yet brief misty showers, with lows around 60.
Yesterday, we took a walk around downtown Arusha for the first time. As one of the only groups of white people to be walking around, we attracted quite a lot of attention, mostly from interested passersby who shouted out "Mambo," to which we all replied, "Poa" (meaning roughly "How ya doin?" and "Fine") This one woman, who couldn't have been taller than 4'11'' tapped me on the shoulder, then pulled me down so she could give me a hug and a kiss on both cheeks. We continued our walk through the market, and I saw things that I'd previously only seen in movies: women walking with enormous supply bags and fruit baskets balanced on the head, bustling and noisy African Marketplaces, and kids in groups of 5-6 walking around on dirt paths with no shoes. I'm anxious to see what sights are in store for us on Day 3 and beyond.
No comments:
Post a Comment